I had finished my Valour Vest some months ago, and although I loved the color and the styling, I had never worn it. I tend to like my clothes somewhat form fitting, so when I wear something that wraps, I pull it close around the waist. When I put the vest on and pinned it to fit my waist, the armholes stretched at the back giving it an odd appearance. See how big the armholes look even when it’s on the hanger. It was even worse when I put it on.
Thinking back on the pattern, I remembered that it said to pickup around the armhole and then bind off on those stitches. The number of stitches it directs you to pick up is substantially fewer than you would do if you were picking up for a button band or some other type of border. The result, of course, is that the armhole pulls in to fit while you still get the nice effect of the ribbing around the bust. Genius.
This morning I finished around the armhole and it looked perfect. I can pull it as close at my waist as I like without looking like I”m wearing a wife-beater undershirt. The only down side of finishing the armhole is that now I have defined an inside and an outside of the garment whereas before, with the flat seam, it had been reversible. Of course, if I wasn’t going to wear it at all the way it was, then it didn’t really matter whether it was reversible or not, now did it! I chose the side with the strong rib texture for the outside (per the pattern), as it really is the more interesting side. Here’s the new and improved Valour.